About Sir Alan
Sir Alan Meale was born 31 July 1949, attended St Joseph RC School in Bishop Aukland and Durham University and spent time working as a Development Officer, Trade Union Official and Researcher before becoming a Member of Parliament.
Alan was elected as the MP for Mansfield on 11 June 1987 and has held the following positions during his time as MP.
- Parliamentary Represenatative, SSAFA, (Armed forces Social Welfare Organisation) 1989-1997
- Member, War Pensions Board 1989-1997
- Whip from 1992 to 1994 when he became Parliamentary Private Secretary to John Prescott in Prescott's different roles until 1998 when he became Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the DETR under John Prescott from January 1998 to January 1999.
- Chairman, PLP East Midlands and Central Groups 1995-1998
- Member, Parliamentary Court of Referees 1997-
- Former member, European Legislation Select Committee
- Former member, Home Affairs Select Committee
- Ex-Treasurer, Parliamentary Football Committee
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions from 1998-99.
- Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for the Environment 1998-1999
- Chair of the British Section of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Cyprus Group since 2007.
- Ex-Secretary, all-party Animal Welfare Group
- Ex-Treasurer, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Cyprus (UK) Group
- UK Government whip, Council of Europe Delegation in 2007
- Acting Leader, UK Delegation in 2010.
- Vice Chairman, Parliamentary Ukraine Committee
- Vice President, NAPP
- Ex-Secretary, all-party Parliamentary Greyhound Group
- Member, Parliamentary Racing and Bloodstocks Group
- Postgraduate Fellow of the Industry and Parliament Trust
- Founder, Ex-Chairman and Executive Member, Parliamentary Beer Industries Committee
- Member, Council of Europe and Western European Union Interim Security and Defence Assembly
- Vice President, The Executive Council of The Arboricultural Society
- Official Rapporteur, Council of Europe “Kyoto Protocol”
- Vice Chairman, Council of Europe Committee “Sustainable Development”
- Official Rapporteur, Western European Union “Petersburg Tasks”
He married Diana Gilhespy on March 10, 1983.
Alan was knighted in the 2011 Birthday Honours for public and political services.